Monday, August 30, 2010

highwaymen appraisal policy

Here are the nuts and bolts of the process.

As an example, here is an email I received and my response today.


Good afternoon Bob,

I hope this finds you doing well!

Thanks so much for responding. I am not sure how this process works. What is the process once I submit the photo of the painting? Is there a fee?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Wishing you a great day!!

Customer X



Hello, Customer X,

There is a fee of $ 100.00 to appraise your painting and issue one of my certificates.

Here is an example :
http://128.121.177.59/CERTIFICATE%20OF%20AUTHENTICITY.htm

The value I place on these is for insurance purposes, based upon current "replacement" cost for a similar painting by the same artist. I also inform you of its current liquid value, which generally is approximately half of the appraised value.

If you have a painting that I can use in inventory and you wish to sell it to me, I will refund your fee when we agree to a purchase/sale agreement.

In that case, I would need to physically inspect it or arrange for a trusted associate from your area to do so on my behalf.

If you think that's fair, we can proceed and I will give you my mailing address.

I accept payment only by personal checks or cash, and occasionally Paypal, although I prefer not to.

Please let me know.

regards

BOB

1 comment:

  1. Hello Bob. I bought what i thought was a highwayman piece at an on-line auction, and was not able to see it before bidding. (actually I bought two) After I picked it up and examined it, i got the impression that it was a fancy print (like you would buy at a fine arts museaum) and was not original. Would I need to send it to you to determine if my suspicion was correct? Here's what the tag says. "Canvas painting signed Jeb Bush Robert Butler. Robert Butler is a local artist (not true now, but I don't know where the painting originated) one of the "highwaymen artists". One is framed and measures 34 by 44 signed by Robert Bulter & Jeb Bush, who......" It's a woodland scene with turkeys. I will pay by check and send it to you if need be, and I will guarantee return shipment. Looking to you for advise. (I'm from Georgia. Who is Jeb Bush?) Thanks Colbert McLendon.

    ReplyDelete