Saturday, November 20, 2010

highwaymen art appraisals at Florida antique shows

I do a lot of them.
I bring a CD player to the shows.
$35.00 at Walmart. They break, you buy a new one.

I like to play some soothing Stevie Ray while I'm doing appraisals to sooth the edgy anticipation of the customers.

Especially this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ZPMScX9-k

When the show opens, usually at nine a.m., here's the one I like to blast at full loudness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVphs8eP6c4&feature=related

I've done this at a Pete Clapp show when I was set up on the stage, overlooking a smallish room, probably 40 dealers with booths. Nice place just off 95 near Melbourne. Viera.

Some of the stodgy old farts gave me dirty looks, you know the ones who only listen to Barry Manilow and deal in delicate fancy glass and "very special" rare tea cups.

Mostly I got smiles, though, even though it was probably annoying more than anything else.

I knew it would be annoying, but I did it anyway, because I like attention at these shows.

Didn't get to play it all the way through, Pete came huffing and puffing up one of the aisles frantically motioning for me to turn it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment